How to protect your home from the shayateen
1) It is important to note that the bricks and mortar of your home do not become “possessed” nor do they become “holy” – the shayateen don’t have anything against your house as an object! They will cause problems to affect you and your children – both psychological and physical
2) Therefore, the most important part of protecting your house isyour level of emaan, your aqeedah and your adherence to the sunnah – the closer you become to Allah, the more you follow the sunnah; the less the shayateen will be able to affect you. And Allah’s Aid is sought
3) Recite Surat Al Baqarah in your home at least once every 3 days. This can be done in a number of ways. You can either recite it in one go and then recite it again after three days or you can split the recitation over three days to make it easier for yourself.
The prophet (alayhis-salam) said – “Do not turn your houses into graves. Verily, Shaytan does not enter the house where Surat Al-Baqarah is recited.” (Musnad Ahmad / Muslim / Tirmidhi)
The prophet (akayhis-salam) said – “Whoever recites Al-Baqarah at night in his house, then Shaytan will not enter that house for three nights. Whoever recites it during a day in his house, then Shaytan will not enter that house for three days. (At-Tabarani / Ibn Hibbaan)
Note: It is NOT sufficient to listen to a recorded recitation of Surat al Baqarah and the scholars have spoken clearly on this issue – the sura must be recited. If you are a revert or cannot recite clearly then ask someone to recite it for you while you learn, or at the very least, then listen to it once every three days. BUT remember that this is ONLY for those who cannot recite, it is not a reason for us to become lazy. If you want the protection, then recite it.
4) There should be no pictures or statues on display in your home of any sort, this includes digital photo frames.
The messenger (salAllahu alayhi wa sallam) said – “The angels do not enter a house in which there is an image.” (Bukhari / Muslim)
Where the angels of mercy do not enter, the shayateen will congregate in that area
5) There should be no music or movies being watched in your home – these are vices from shaytaan and you are literally inviting the devils into your home if you listen to or watch these things
6) Enter the home with your right foot and say bismillah and when you eat say bismillah
The prophet (alayhis-salam) said – “If a person mentions the Name of Allah upon entering his house or eating, Satan says, addressing his followers: `You will find no where to spend the night and no dinner.’ But if he enters without mentioning the Name of Allah, Satan says [To his followers]; ‘You have found [A place] to spend the night in, and if he does not mention the Name of Allah at the time of eating, Satan says: `You have found [A place] to spend the night in as well as food.” (Muslim)
7) If the shayateen are causing problems in your home, do NOT curse them, rather say Bismillah
The prophet (alayhis-salam) “Do not say: May the devil perish! For if you say that, he will swell so much so that he will be like a house, and say: By my power. But say Bismillah for when you say that, he will diminish so much so that he will be like a fly.” (An-Nasai / Ahmad / Abu Dawud)
8 ) Close your doors and windows and say Bismillah when doing so, particularly when it’s dark
The prophet (salAllahu alayhi wa sallam) said – “When night falls stop your children from going out, for the devils spread out at that time. But when an hour of the night has passed, release them and close the doors and mention Allah’s Name, for Satan does not open a closed door. Tie the mouth of your water-skin and mention Allah’s Name; cover your containers and utensils and mention Allah’s Name. Cover them even by placing something across it, and extinguish your lamps. ” (Bukhari / Abu Dawud)
9) There should be no taweez in your home whatsoever – this is shirk and it will be an open door for shayateen to enter into your home and cause havoc. If you have a taweez see my previous posts for information on how to destroy them
10) Perform a lot of dhikr and extra prayers in your home
The messenger (alayhis-salam) said – “The example of one who remembers Allah and someone who does not, is like the example between the living and the dead.”
The dead live in graveyards, don’t make your home a graveyard
11) Make the adhaan in your home, if possible, for each of the five daily prayers
The messenger (alayhis-salam) said – “When the call to prayer is made, Shaytaan flees on his heels….”
12) Take some water in a spray bottle and recite the following – Sura Fatiha x 7 / Ayatul Kursi x 7 / Last two verses of surat al Baqarah x 3 / Ikhlas x 7 / Falaq x 7 / Nas x 7
After each sura, spittle into the water. Take this water and spray into the corners of each room. Don’t spray in the toilets. You can do this morning and evening
13) Keep your home clean and hygienic, smelling good. The devils dwell in filthy places
14) Make a lot of duaa and give in charity, seeking to come closer to Allah
15) Have patience. The shayateen will try to put you off or intimidate you but if you are patient and perseverant then they will realise that their attempts are not working and they will stop
16) You should perform ruqya over yourself
Ultimately, Allah knows best and ALL protection is from Him. Turn to Allah and make your religion sincerely for Him. He will protect you and shower blessings upon you.